Thursday, March 3, 2011

I Stuffed My Face

Say hello to James! He has been my partner in culinary crime for the passed few weeks. Here is a glimpse at some local joints to jump start your food adventures.


I introduced James to a little place in Caledonia called Soc Trang.  This is a Vietnamese restaurant in a strip mall, and a good way to ease into some more adventurous dishes. James ordered Pho (known for it's robust broth) with tripe, tendon, rare beef, and well cooked beef.  I ordered Nam Vang (clear noodle soup) with crab, shrimp, and beef.



Both soups include lime, jalapeno, cilantro, basil, and bean sprouts as add ins. We also had an appetizer of fresh rolls that had shrimp, cilantro, shredded carrots, and a sweet chile sauce. Everything was super flavorful and really delicious!


James then introduced me to Soul Food Sunday at Sandmann's,  Grand Rapids' famous barbecue joint on Wealthy Street.  We had rib tips, ribs, smothered cabbage, fried corn, mac and cheese, and collard greens with tomato and onion! So so so yummy!



Check out more about Sandmann's here:  http://sandmanns.com/index.html

If you are in search for Thai food try Angel's which is on Monroe Center, downtown.  We ordered Crab Rangoon, I had the Green Curry, and James had the House Lo Mein. They are amazing with their use of spice! I'm a huge fan of spicy hot food and this has just enough to pack a little punch but still be able to enjoy the rest of the flavors of the dish.




So if you are hungry, pick up your spoons and do a little digging, you may be surprised by the local restaurants this city has to offer!

 
Enjoy,
Mani

1 comment:

  1. Hey I know you! :) Guess I know what we're doing when we visit GR!

    ReplyDelete