Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Growing Hair: In All Of The Right And All Of The Very WRONG Places

If the hair on my head would grow as fast as the hair on my legs, I would be a happy happy happy camper! To be totally real: I'm a hairy beast. That's right, I said it. My Armenian/German heritage has blessed me with the ability to grow prickly, black, Sasquatch leg hair ovvver the course of ONE day. Liar? Not so much, James has taken to calling me cricket. So, it must be fact.  I have to shave everything, everyday.

That being said, it isn't the same for my luscious(cough cough, puh-lease) locks. I have been growing my hair out over the course of the last year and a half from a pixie cut. I loved having short, blond, wild hair, but I want a mane! My goal... mermaid hair! You know, hair that when left down and wavy can still cover the nips. Yeah, that's the stuff. I so dream of being able to sing my siren song, tempting sea captains and conquistadors to my rock, hair aglow in the moonlight... In other words, squawk in the bathtub, using the shampoo bottle as my microphone, while trying to unclog said tendrils from the drain. I'm pretty happy with the progress, though. It's not quite where I had hoped it would be (ie: I had to off a ton of damage because I was bored and wanted to play with color.) Now, it is growing out naturally; I'm dying a little inside from not being able to do anything about it and should have left well enough alone when I thought bangs seemed like a good idea, nonetheless it's not looking too shabby.

Before (Blond Pixie Cut)
Getting down to the nitty gritty, please don't think less of me, yes, I'm going there, well not THERE but there-ish. I, Mani Aghababian, of sound mind and body, have two whisker on my chinny chin chin. So now that that is out there, there is also one on my nosey. I pluck those suckers out.

After (Naturally Growing)
I forgot to mention that I'm growing my eyebrows out, as well. There is nothing worse than this. Beautiful, french, gamine eyebrows, you will be mine, I promise... just hold on and power through the gnarly troll brows. I swear it's as if a 17 year old boy is trying to grow a beard, patchy patchy patchy.

I Think This is the Longest it has Ever Been! Eee!
Well, there you have it. I apologize if that was way too much information or I have in any way shape or form ruined the image of stylists always being polished and with every hair being perfectly coiffed. Lord knows, that would take me forever given how mine like to sprout up out of nowhere. I want to always be real with you, never pretentious, and forever able to relate. It sounds like I'm being super self deprecating, I'm not. I can laugh at myself and with some grace and humility still embrace my own quirks.  No matter what phase of growth (inward and out) you are in, embrace your quirks. Even stylists face the same plight as all women do when it comes to the realm of hair. So, the next time you walk into a salon with uppity hairstylists, just remember to look up from the shampoo bowl, I'm sure you'll be able to find a booger bombed monster nose hair. You can't win 'em all!

 Happy Grooming,
Mani

No comments:

Post a Comment